The Lake Winnipeg Research Consortium (LWRC) Inc. is a registered charity, founded in 1998 to facilitate scientific research on Lake Winnipeg following evidence of water quality deterioration related to the 1997 Red River “Flood of the Century”. The LWRC was incorporated in Manitoba in 2001 and received charitable status in 2008.
Board of Directors
The LWRC is governed by a board of nine directors with representation from the various classes of membership, which includes: Research (3 directors); Contributing (3 directors); Participating (2 directors); and General (1 director).
The election of directors from any particular class of membership, if required, takes place during the Annual General Meeting.
- Elaine Page (Conservation & Water Stewardship, Province of Manitoba)| Contributing
- Gary Swanson (Manitoba Hydro) | Contributing
- Dr. Al Kristofferson | Contributing
- Dr. Gordon Goldsborough (University of Manitoba) | Research
- Vacant | Research
- Vacant| Research
- Vacant | Participating
- Vacant | Participating
- Bill Barlow (Gimli) | General
Three part-time personnel oversee the day to day operations of the LWRC, its programs and research vessels.
- Dr. Al Kristofferson | Managing Director
- Dr. Karen Scott | Science & Education Programs
- Ryan Johnson | Superintendent of Marine Operations & Chief Engineer
Crew of the Motor Vessel NAMAO
The Motor Vessel Namao requires a seasonal crew of nine: Captain, Chief Officer, Chief Engineer, 2nd Engineer, Deckhands (4) and a Cook. In addition, a seasonal Field Operations Technician oversees sample collection as part of the Science Program.
- Walter Lea | Captain
- Caitlin Simpson | Chief Officer
- Ryan Johnson | Chief Engineer
- Andreas Rodenberg | 2nd Engineer
- Rob Domschky | Deckhand
- Bruce Moose | Deckhand
- Shelley | Deckhand
- Quentin Ladouceur | Deckhand
- Rhonda Thornsteinson | Cook
Current membership of the LWRC is over 30 agencies representing various government and university departments, municipalities, communities, corporate and other organizations. To become a member of the LWRC, please review the “Criteria for Membership” found on the Documents page and then contact us indicating your organization’s desire to become a member and why. The LWRC’s Board of Directors will review your request and a response will follow. There is no fee to become a member.
- Algal Taxonomy and Ecology Inc.
- Center for Indigenous Environmental Resources
- City of Winnipeg
- Diageo Canada Inc.
- Dunnottar Village
- Fish Futures Inc.
- Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation
- Geological Survey of Canada
- Gimli Yacht Club
- Grindstone Cottage Owners Association
- Gull Harbour Yacht Club
- Lake Winnipeg Commercial Fishers
- Lake Winnipeg Foundation
- Loni Beach Residents’ Association
- Manitoba Association of Cottage Owners Inc.
- Manitoba Government and General Employees Union
- Manitoba Hydro
- Manitoba Industry, Trade and Mines
- Manitoba Pork Council
- Manitoba Sailing Association
- Manitoba Sustainable Development
- New Iceland Heritage Museum, Gimli
- Norway House Cree Nation
- Red River Basin Commission
- RM of Gimli
- University of Manitoba
- University of Manitoba – Biological Sciences
- University of Manitoba – Civil and Geological Engineering
- University of Manitoba – Geography (Centre for Earth Observation Science)
- University of Manitoba – Geology
- University of Manitoba – Natural Resource Institute
- University of Manitoba – Office of Vice President (Research)
- University of Winnipeg
- University of Winnipeg – Biology
- University of Winnipeg – Chemistry